Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Conversations with the Characters

If I were to meet my characters, something like this would happen:

Conversation #1:
Me: "Hello, I'm your author."
Random Character: "You're...oh, hi."
Me: "What do you think of the last couple chapters?"
Random Character: "Um...they were okay, I guess."
Me: "Only okay? Why is it everyone says that?"
Random Character: "It would have been better if you hadn't...(whatever I'd done)."
Me: *wince* "Yeah, that was necessary for your growth."
Random Character: "I don't see how."
Me: "You don't need to...OH!"
Random Character: "Tell me that isn't what I think it is."
Me: "I just thought of a book scene!"
Random Character: "Tell me it doesn't involve more 'growth'."
Me: *Looks sheepish* "Sorry."
Random Character: "Oh no, here we go again."



This is made very true because almost everything I see and every conversation I have helps in the making of a book scene. Sadly, if I talked to my characters, they might just trigger a book scene! And they would probably be in it! That would be a bit strange!




Conversation #2:
Me: “Hello, Chester, I’m your author.”
Chester: “Good morning.”
Me: “How are you?”
Chester: *Looks distracted* “Okay. You?”
Me: “Fine. Something wrong?”
Chester: *Smiles* “My voices of reason are telling me you are bad luck.”
Me: *Grinning* “Tell them they wouldn’t exist without me.”
Chester: “I already did.”
Me: “I knew there was a reason I liked you.”
Chester: “I never would have guessed from my life.”
Me: *Looking downhearted* “The worse your life, the more you can know I love you.”
Chester: “That is very discouraging, and confusing.”
Me: “Write a book and you’ll understand.”
Chester: “You talk in too many riddles.”
Me: *Smiling* “I know, isn’t it cool!”
Chester: *Shakes his head and smiles*



It would be a little hard to explain what it is like to be an author - especially to my characters! But that is the truth. The more I like a character, the worse their life is! This is simply true because I give them more attention. But it also means they get a good ending, nice marraige and plenty of kids! (And they usually don't die!)



Conversation #3:

Me: “Hello, Alonzo.”
Alonzo: *Stands up* “Who let this peasant in here?”
Me: “I have my own key.”
Alonzo: *Looks shocked* “You dare speak to me in that tone?”
Me: “Someone certainly needs to.”
Alonzo: “You can’t…how dare… I am going to be king!”
Me: “That can change.”
Alonzo: *Mouth drops open* “You wouldn’t!”
Me: *Shrugs* “If your attitude doesn’t change…”
Alonzo: *Chin rises* “There is nothing wrong with my attitude.”
Me: *Shakes head sympathetically*
Alonzo: “I’m going to call the guards!” *Storms away*
Me: “I tried. I guess I’ll have to send someone to straighten him out. Or maybe a near death experience! That would work.” *Disappears*

Sadly, a lot of the time I have no control over my characters and they end up nothing like I thought they would. But God always seems to have something in store that I never even thought of and in order for it to happen; my characters need to be different than I thought. It is like writing yet you have no idea why or what you’re doing! Yet, God always shows me in the end. God doesn't just guide me in life, He guides me in writing, as well.

And I am SOOO thankful that He does because I have no idea what I'm doing half the time!

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment