Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Why Does God Love us?

As most of you know, I write books. If you’ve never written a book you don’t know how it feels, how amazing it is. I love to watch my very own world come to life as I write. I love to see my people and places come into existence before me. I love the people, long to return to the mountains and hold my breath until the time I can go back again. And you know what? I wouldn’t even care if no one ever saw my work, ever opened my books, and never visited my creek and mountains. Why? Because when I write, I feel something few people have.

Through writing I’ve gotten a glimpse of God’s heart. He made the world. He watched as it came to life before him. He gave it life and meaning and love. He loved it, like I love my world, and I can understand why He’d want it back. If someone stole my world, my books, I’d want them back too. They are mine and I love them. When I think of someone stealing them, I get sick inside and my heart aches. It would be like someone stealing part of me.

People ask all too often, “Why would God want us back when we are so evil?” That question isn’t even true. God wants us back from this evil. He doesn’t want us back with the evil. The evil in us is what stole us from Him. What He buys us back from the evil and unto righteousness.

Too many people think, “God must be evil because the world is evil. He can’t really love the world if He made it like this.” If you think that, you don’t understand. God didn’t make the world evil! He made it perfect. He made it wonderful. No creator would willingly make something wrong.

Say you’re the manufacturer and your company makes cars. You aren’t going to look at the plans and say, “I know, let’s make this engine so it doesn’t work. And down here, make these wheels flat so they can’t drive and are handicap.” Why would you do that? You wouldn’t! God didn’t make the world an evil and terrible place either. Sin did that.

“But if God made everything He made sin, too, now didn’t He?” you think. Wrong. God did not make sin.

“So God didn’t make everything,” you exclaim. Wrong. God did make everything. There is no such thing as sin. There is a famous argument between Albert Einstein and his teacher in which he tells the teacher that there is no such thing as darkness or cold or sin. He was very right. Just think about this a moment. Is there such a thing as darkness? No! You can’t have darkness by itself. If there was, you could make darkness darker or lighter. You can’t! Darkness is simply the lack of light.

What about cold? No, there is no such thing as cold. If there was, you could make cold. Cold is only the lack of heat. So, cold does not exist.

What about sin? No, there is no such thing as sin. Sin is only the lack of righteousness. It isn’t a thing. It isn’t made. It is simply the complete lack of godliness. God did not make sin because sin can not be made. Albert Einstein did an excellent job of explaining that.

“Alright, so God didn’t make the world with sin but now that it has sin in it, why doesn’t He just get rid of it if He is so powerful?” you think next. God doesn’t take away sin because He wants to be loved.

“What?” you ask. “Everyone would love Him if He took away sin!” That is not true. Love is something you give freely. If we no longer had the choice to not love Him, it wouldn’t be love. God gave us free will for that very reason. He wants to be loved. It is the very reason He made the world, isn’t it? He made us for Himself to be His and to walk with Him and be His companions.

“So, how did He buy us back?”

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”(Romans 6:23.) Death is the price sin demands. Death is the price God’s righteousness demands but He doesn’t want us to die.

Let’s go back just a second and discuss what I mean by ‘death’. We all die physically. All of you who aren’t Christians can vogue that we Christians die, too, right? When I say ‘death’, I’m not talking about physical death. Our bodies here are already marred by sin. By ‘death’ I mean spiritually. You will never get to be with God. You will be tossed into a lack of fire to stay there for all eternity. Eternity means forever, means that it will NEVER end. There will be no relief. There will be no time for repentance. You will be dead to God. You won’t ever get a chance again. That is what I mean by ‘dead’.

But you don’t have to die. God loves you! He wants you to be His again. He is just waiting for you to see that He is there.

“What do I have to do?” you ask. All you have to do is believe. To confess that you are a sinner and tell God you want to be forgiven. You don’t ‘do’ anything. Jesus does it. He died for you, took all your sin on Himself so you could be free. You’ve just got to accept it.

And the best part? You can never lose your salvation. No matter what you do, you will still be forgiven. All of your sins are forgiven, for past and for present. We all sin, even after we are saved but God doesn’t see our sin anymore. He only sees Jesus’ righteousness which covers them. In His eyes, we are perfect.

Faith is hard, yes, but it is worth it! Walk with God,

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment