Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Have Faith, and an Umbrella!

One time our pastor told us a story about a small church family made up of mostly farmers (I'm telling this by memory, so I may or may not have it word perfect). It was the middle of a drought and all of their crops were dying off. "Come next Sunday and we will pray for rain together! Have faith and God will give us the rain we need!"

The next Sunday rolled around and everyone began showing up. "Where is your faith?" asked the pastor to his church family. "Why don't you have faith that God can make it rain?"

"We have faith!" they told him, confused.

"Then where is your umbrellas?" he asked them, shaking his head.



Today we got ready to walk to the post office and, as we were preparing to go, Missy picked up our blue, slightly beat up umbrella. It was sunny and extremely hot when we left. I took a big blue hat. I don't think either of us expected it to do what it did. It began sprinkling as we reached the main road and we both began laughing as we realized the connection with the story. We got to the post office and began mailing our things off. As we were almost done, the mailman looked at his window and said in surprise, "Is it raining?"

"It is. It is a good thing we brough our umbrella," Missy told him.

We left the post office and got part way down the road when our mother and brother showed up with the van. "We had an umbrella," I told them.

"I told her that," Peter said.

It was nice that they came anyway, however! So, if you need rain, I suggest you go for a walk and bring your umbrellas.

Mandy

3 comments:

  1. What a great message! So true! We need to have faith, but we need to actually act on our faith. Bring those umbrellas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely post--we are hurting for rain. And I don't bring my umbrella to church. (In my defense, I never use an umbrella. But still...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it is time to either: dust off your umbrella or go buy a new one! :) It worked for us! You could also arrange to have a 'water day' (slip and slides, waterbaloon fights...ect.). Everytime we do that at camp it seems that God hears 'water day' and wants to get in on the fun. Then it rains on us!!! LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete