Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Prince Charming….the Toad?

How is someone supposed to know if a girl is a tomboy? It might be a hint when they see a frog and go, “A frog, awesome!” That was me at Edgemont. Whether my brain was fried by the 110 degree temperature or if I was just glad to see a frog is yet to be determined.

Anyway, when we dug poor Prince Charming up I had to rescue him. He was the fattest frog I’d ever seen. But he was quite dry so, naturally, I put him in a container with water. I then took him to show to mother like a five year old with a trophy. Wait? Is that right? Maybe it should have been the other way around but at this point I don’t care.

Mother’s response was, “That is not a frog, it is a toad.”

“Oh,” was my response. Then I smiled hugely, “Prince Charming, the toad.”
The toad looked at me as if to say, “You should have known I was a toad. How rude.” In any case, he didn’t look happy.

“Do toads like water?”

“No,” is what Prince Charming’s look said.

“No,” replied my mother. Prince Charming tried to remove himself from the water. His container (which smelled suspiciously of a coffee and paint combination) was too large for him to escape from. This was a good thing because a wet toad running free in the camper trailer would not have been a great plan.
Prince Charming, his indigent croaks making him most un-charming, was taken back outside.

Having work to do but with the neighbor dog running around, we decided it was a good idea to put Prince Charming’s container up high.
I went back to work with Peter’s cries of ‘cool!’ and Jules’ ‘it’s so cute!’ ringing in my ears.

I’m sorry to say that is the last I saw of Prince Charming. The toad sympathizers let him go without giving me a chance to say goodbye. (I will not point fingers but it was a certain Mom of ours….)

So that is pretty much all there is to Prince Charming’s story. Huge sigh.

Yours truly,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment