Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Our Long Trip To Trust

The last couple years has been hard for us. My dad got ill two Februarys ago and was ill for a whole year. Dad couldn’t drive truck anymore. Bills stacked up and things got really hard. Christmas was going to be a very small deal because we just didn’t have the money. So many times I heard God saying to me, “Trust.”

It was about a week before Christmas when we had our candlelight service that we were ‘adopted’. The hospital adopts one family a year and gives them gifts. One family who’s Christmas wasn’t going to be very good.

I stood there in our overcrowded little log cabin church building as they brought gifts upon gifts out from the nursery. Gifts I’d watched them bring in earlier that evening and hoped one was for me. They were all wrapped beautifully and they were all for us so we’d have a good Christmas. And my mom and dad had said we were having a very small Christmas with a few gifts, we watched as God said "No, you're going to have the best Christmas ever."

I wanted to walk closer, I wanted to say thank you, I wanted to touch them but all I could do was stand there. Looking back I guess I was in shock. The Lord had said, “trust” so many times and we had trusted and this was what He gave us in return. Once the shock wore off all I could do was cry. You hear about those stories at Christmas, you watch it happen and never think you’d actually have it happen to you. And now, God gave us a Christmas story all our own.

“Trust Me with everything.” When your bills are over due, when you don’t know where your next meal is coming from, when everything just keeps going wrong, are you still saying, “Lord, you know best. This path has an end and I know you see it. Even if all I seem to have is trial after trial, blessings are always mixed in.”

The rest of the two years things just got harder and harder. Things went wrong, bills needed paid. Our church gave us food and money gifts. We started a Handyman service (Honey Do Services) and did whatever we could. And you know what? God never once let us down.

I know trust is hard to give but maybe these trials weren’t only for my parents. Through these trials I grew a lot in my faith. It got steadier. I learned patience. I saw God in more ways during that time than any other. I could watch God work. Every single day, I witnessed as miracles happened.

Why is trusting God so hard?

God has done nothing to deny Himself trust. When has He ever failed? Never. When has He ever hurt us? Never. When has life ever been so hard that you no longer want to live? Never. When has He ever turned his back on you? Never. When were you tested so far that you couldn’t take it anymore? Never. Are you still alive? Do you still stand? Are you clothed and feed?

Sometimes the hardest thing for a Christian to learn once saved is to trust. God watches after His sheep, but we often forget, don’t we? We say, “God, when is it going to stop? Haven’t I been tested enough? Why do these trials keep coming? What is it I’m missing? Are you trying to teach me something? I don’t understand!” Maybe God is saying it’s time to learn to trust.

We learned to trust in this last one and a half years but trust isn’t something you learn and then move on. Trust is constant. We seem to need to learn over and over.

God isn’t leaving,
He understands,
He sees our problems,
And He has a plan.

He loves us always,
He sees our fears,
He knows are worries,
He feels our tears.

Are you trusting?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy. I really love this post. It's very inspiring. In fact, it inspired me to start my own blog and chronicle God's work in our lives as Lorri and I begin full time with ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sweetie, that was a timely post!

    It's not walking by faith if we can see the road ahead.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lesson - How hard, yet how easy it is to Trust our God. Thank you for writing this, and thank your Mom for sharing.

    ReplyDelete