Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mail Walk

The day was rather chilly, like zero degrees, and we’d just finished school. Ok, I hadn’t just finished School since I’m usually done by eight. Unless you count the fifteen minutes with mom or the hour history but those are scattered throughout the day. Anyway, Missy had just finished with school. You may notice that most these stories center on Me and Missy and no this is not on purpose but Missy and I are just constantly doing such things that are good to write about.

Well, there we were in the kitchen again, since this was the main area for us since we think food is vital, eating like usual. We weren’t hungry but since we were bored snacking was the thing to do. After we’d snacked for awhile we were no longer satisfied with eating so we changed tactics, “We could read.” I suggested, referring to my book which we read over together to find mistakes, “No. I don’t feel like reading.” Missy answered, “I’d watch TV,” she added, “But mom is watching something.” I gathered from this that it was something she didn’t like with my highly advanced, or not, skills. We talked for a bit on what to do then stood looking out the window aimlessly, “We could get the mail…” I said aloud. We both stared at the thermometer which said zero and then at the trees swaying in the wind, “It would be cold…” she said,

“But there might be a letter at the end…” I said. We both knew that by the end of the conversation we would go but we had to at least think it over even though we wouldn’t listen to the little voices saying, “You’re nuts! Think about your fingers! Not to mention your toes!”

“And if there is a letter it would be worth it…” my voice trailed off, “There should be at least one…” Missy continued.

“Ok, ask Mom.” I said against the voices now screaming in my head, “Stop! Wait! What are you doing?” I wanted a letter and I’d get frozen for one if necessary, “You ask. I’ll be supportive!” this was the usual argument before asking mother for something. I didn’t argue this time because I really wanted a letter, “Fine.” we walked into the living room and got permission. We put on our coats and boots and gloves and scarves and left to brave the wind and cold temperatures in the hope of a letter. We’d made it too the end of the driveway, which isn’t a short one like those in town, when Missy said, “Do you have the key?”
“No. You were supposed to get it.”
“When did it become my job?” she inquired. So, we went back, “You get the bag for the mail I’ll get the key.”
“Where is the key?” I asked suspiciously,
“I’m getting the key,” she said.
“I know,” I said, “But where is it?”
“In the car,” Missy told me.
“So you gave me the longer walk,” I said.
“Precisely,” she said smiling,
“Fine,” I said. It wasn’t all that much longer of a walk and arguing with my sister when she was in a mean mood was not good. She’d do something like Move my book under a different name so it took me half the morning to find it or something. Her favorite evil deed to do, which she did at lest ten times a day to all of us, was steal your book and hide it. If you weren’t careful she’d even grab it out of your hands as you read.

As I said, I got the bag.
We walked down to the post office talking all the way. When we got to the post office we saw a kid get off the bus and go in. This was strange because we didn’t know of any boys of our age, or any boys at all for that matter. We just ignored him and got the mail. Then we took some candy from the dish and left. The walk home was a bit more cold. My poor legs were stinging and the little voices in my head were saying, “Told you so, told you so!” and I thought back,
“Yes, but I did get a letter!” I was quite pleased and triumphant and that made the cold walk bareable. When we reached the drive way we paused and Missy said, “Look. My legs aren’t cold when I walk.” I stop and found mine were quite warm as well, “That’s strange.”
“It’s our jeans. Every time we walk our skin touches them." This was quite true and we were pleased with our discovery.

We didn‘t delay any longer because, for one, we had letters, and for two, we were freezing!

No comments:

Post a Comment