Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sledding

I thought it was going to be another normal January day. For your information, it wasn’t. I woke, forgetting entirely that it was a holiday since holidays don’t concern me. Unless I get gifts. Well, you don’t on Martin Luther King Jr. day. Therefore, I forgot. This Martin Luther King Jr. day wouldn’t be one I’d easily forget. I woke everyone on time and learned, to my complete surprise, that today we were going sledding with our cousins. I couldn’t exactly get a grip on that. No one had cared to inform me! So, as everyone got up and got ready I did chores. There I was, sliding across the ice, trudging through the snow, walking through the rain, and saying to myself, “Sledding with the campfire? We’re nuts.”

Well, believe it or not, we did go sledding with a campfire. Where we went, Hanna campground in case you’re interested, had several feet of snow and though that’s good for sledding, it was also between us and the campfire ring where our lovely fire was to be lit. Three feet of snow didn’t stop us. We’re Eggers’ and Jones’. We dug it out, well I didn’t but the adults did.

Once that fire was started we put the kettle on and us kids trudged off to do some sledding, despite the shortage of sleds. Five or six or even seven of us piled on and went zipping down the hill, leaving a trail of cousins, I’m sorry to say I was almost always one left behind. Several times people had to hang on behind just to get a ride.

We got tired after awhile so we went back to the campfire. We had hot water for hot chocolate and got sticks to roast…socks. I’m not lying, honest! We roasted wet socks. It didn’t exactly dry them but they got hot that way. Yes, indeed, we went sledding with a campfire, drunk hot chocolate, ate hot dogs and chili, and roasted socks. Only our family would do such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment