Our Fireworks

Our Fireworks
I took this picture at a fireworks display a few years ago.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Events


So what did you all do for Mother’s Day? (No, honestly, I’m asking. Leave a comment. I like them!) Probably the normal, easy thing, right? Sit back, relax, watch TV. Maybe go out to a nice restraint. Whatever your mother wants.

Now I have a confession, I am writing this before 9:00am Mother’s Day. So, I don’t know what we’re going to do.

Do you know what my mom wants to do? Nope, you’re wrong. She doesn’t want to watch TV or go to town. She wants to put up a gazebo our neighbor gave us. All of you who know my mom are smiling and nodded. All of you who don’t have your mouths hanging open, are shaking your heads and thinking she’s crazy. No, she isn’t crazy but she is an over-achiever. One of the best over-achievers I know, I might add.

Will we be able to talk Mom out of this? There is a twenty percent chance. This is Mother’s Day. Do we do everything our mother’s say on this holiday? Probably but we will do our best to convince her that she needs to rest (and therefore give us a break, not that we need one). Will this work? In the next paragraph I’ll tell you but really that won’t be written (because I’ve still got to do it) until tomorrow. So, Mandy signing out. Until you scroll down, that is.

Here I am, just as I promised. One paragraph and one day later. That’s the nice thing about stories, you don’t have to wonder what happens because it will tell you immediately.

Did we put the gazebo up? No, we didn’t. Did we expertly sweet talk mother out of it? No, of course not. Who do you think we are? I don’t think anyone can talk my mother out of anything (except God). So, you ask, what did happen?

She forgot.

Am I saying she has a bad memory? No. I wouldn’t do such a thing. My mom has a brilliant memory but she had more pressing things on her mind. What more pressing things? Hold on ten seconds and I’ll tell you. Our neighbor’s dog. You go, huh? I know, it sounds strange but we were watching the dog and Mom takes this type of thing very seriously. So, she forgot all about the gazebo. For now. Tomorrow or the next day we’ll probably end up doing it but for now, we’ve escaped.

2 comments:

  1. So, was it better to take care of the dog than to put up the gazebo? ;)

    Aunt Chari

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLOL! I didn't forget! The one person more stubborn than me in this family is your dad and he just worked 13 days straight & decided Sunday was going to be a day of rest. Otherwise, we'd been taking care of Maudie AND putting up the gazebo AND the greenhouse.

    :D
    Mom

    ReplyDelete